Antenatal and Postnatal Classes and Consultations
Women's Health Physiotherapists are experienced and trained physiotherapists who specialize in musculoskeletal issues associated with pregnancy, birth, post-partum, breastfeeding and menopause.
The scope of practice has now increased to include all health concerns of women, Conditions treated are
- Pelvic/ Vaginal pain
- Prenatal and Postpartum musculoskeletal pain
- Rehabilitation following breast surgery,
- Education and Prevention, wellness and exercise.
All females across the life span, from the young athlete, the childbearing woman, the menopausal and elderly woman receive benefit from physical therapy. It is important to understand that there are several physical and physiological attributes that are unique to women, and physiotherapy plays an important role in women's health.
Three functions in particular, are unique to women. These include menstruation, pregnancy, and lactation. These functions are intricately tied to complex hormonal patterns in women, which also influence behavior.
At APTER, we understand the anatomical and physiological differences (and unique needs) of the female population and we are uniquely qualified to assist women to live healthy, pain-free lives.
Physiotherapy and Women's Health
We help in child birth education, antenatal training, post natal training, pelvic floor pain management, and incontinence management, breastfeeding and lactation.
Exercises and techniques used to treat issues specific to women include:
- Muscle retraining – This creates body awareness and improves movement patterns. Kegel exercises to strengthen weak pelvic floor muscles in addition to that, Pilates can be very beneficial.
- Exercise Therapy – helps improve mobility, strength, and endurance. This also strengthens bones and joints.
- Manual therapy – helps improve joint and soft tissue flexibility by using repetitive and specific hands-on techniques and movements.
- Breast care and advice on feeding, positioning, treatment of conditions like breast engorgement and baby care.
Every treatment program is different and is customized to the patient's needs. Women have unique physical and physiological attributes that physiotherapists take into consideration.
Physiotherapy can make a difference to every member in your family at some point. Don’t hesitate to ask us about what we can do for you, put your health first.