Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment (MDT) : McKenzie Method for DISC PROBLEM
MDT or McKenzie method is a world renowned treatment method for mechanical low back and neck pain. Over 70% of the current young generation has neck pain and back pain. The pain, suffering and the cost involved in treating it is alarmingly high.
Most of these pain is mechanical (poor posture) in nature and it can be easily treated without any medications or need for MRI or surgery. But these patients considers this pain is normal and it will go away if they do stretching exercises and take simple analgesics. Unfortunately the pain tends to get worse in due course.
- Early morning stiffness
- Difficulty moving the neck or back
- Neck pain radiating to the shoulder, arm, elbow, chest and upper back
- Back pain radiating to the buttock, hip, groin, abdomen, thigh, leg and foot.
- Tingling, numbness over the hand or foot/Toes
- Pain after prolonged sitting or travelling
- Pain during coughing or sneezing
These are some of the characteristics of mechanical pain. If these symptoms are allowed to persists, slowly structural damage may happen, which will become evident in MRI scan. Typically the cervical or the lumbar disc will be seen bulged or herniated. This disc will compress the nerves thereby the patient feels more pain over the extremities.